Sunday, September 19, 2010

Introduction to How AgriBusiness is Affecting EVERYONE

Hello!

I am just an ordinary citizen who has an extraordinary concern about how Factory Farms (or as some call it--Agribusiness) are affecting not only the safety of our food supply, but also our environment.  Not only am I concerned about keeping salmonella at bay, but I am also disgusted by the treatment of farm animals in large factory farms.  The purpose of my blog is to provide balanced and fair reporting of the business of factory farming so you, the consumer, can decide just how you want your eggs.

As a child growing up in the late sixties, our eggs were delivered by a local farmer who we referred to as "The Egg Man."  Every Friday he would drive to our suburb in his trusty old station wagon, ask for the used paper cartons, and then refill them with his fresh eggs.  We never had to worry about the safety of those eggs, and we never wondered if he mistreated his animals.  We had every reason to believe our eggs were from a safe and sanitary farm that did not pollute our rivers or streams.

I don't remember when the "Egg Man" stopped delivering eggs, but it was probably about the same time home milk delivery stopped.  I know that we can't return to those days, but I think we need to know more about the farms our eggs, meat and dairy products come from.  I wonder about the FDA, and I question whether it could have done more to ensure our eggs were salmonella-free?

Here is a Chicago Tribune Article on the egg recall.  I am sure that this letter will be thought-provoking!

I plan to explore a new Agribusiness topic each week, and I encourage everyone to post comments to let me know if I my blog is fair and accurate.


This blog is prepared by a paralegal student as a class project, without compensation. The content of this blog contains my opinion, and is offered for personal interest without warranty of any kind. Comments posted by others on this blog are the responsibility of the posters of those messages. The reader is solely responsible for verifying the content of this blog and any linked information. Content, sources, information, and links will most likely change over time. The content of this blog may not be construed as legal, medical, business, or personal advice.

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who now lives in the small town of Fairfield, Iowa. This is a topic near and dear to his heart because he lives downwind from a hog confinement operation. I often hear about the horrors of living in such close proximity to that farm.

    I also have an interest in non-GMO food.Perhaps you will touch on that topic in your blog. I do love your chosen topic and will follow your postings with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Laura. The need for food safety and concern is a never ending need, especially in light of the recent discoveries of salmonella outbreaks and recalls of the massive number of eggs that were recalled. We would probably be appalled if we could visit one of these massive egg producing farms and see the way these animals are treated. Not like a scene, I'm sure, that I saw in upstate New York a number of years ago...Was on my way to Albany airport and pass a chicken ranch in which the sign out front boasted of "20,000 employees." However, the building looked like a well cared for dairy barn instead of the egg producers that the business was noted for. As you mentioned in your blog, we can't return to those earlier days, but we have government inspectors who could insure, if they chose to, that the same sanitary standards were enforced now as they use to be, and more humane treatment to the animals that give us the food for our tables.
    Dave Mosher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic! It dovetails with my food safety blog really well. Factory Farms are here to stay, I'm afraid. The low overhead and high profit margins ensure that huge "AgriBusinesses" stick around for the foreseeable future. But there important considerations-oversight, food safety, regulation, inspections, and of course, what we want our food supply chain to look like. I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent topic for your blog Laura. I suspect your targeting eggs has nothing to do with the fact that you can't stand to look at em. ha ha. Just kidding, kind of. Keep up the good reporting and research! I will keep checking your blog!

    ReplyDelete