Sunday, October 24, 2010

Factory Farming and Pollution Part II - Ohio Egg Farms' Contribution

Last week's blog topic discussed Factory Farming's role in contributing to the pollution of Ohio's waterways.  This week, I will address the specific pollution problems with Ohio's large egg farms.

I was unaware of these interesting facts according to Earthsave International:

  • It takes 63 gallons of water to produce one egg.
  • One million hen complex produces 125 tons of wet manure a day
I think everyone should take a look at the Environmental Organizers' Network website and check out the facts and pictures of egg farms.  I have one photo that is quite disturbing;




WARNING: THOSE WITH SENSITIVE STOMACHS OR EATING DO NOT LOOK:








One major offender is "Buckeye Egg Farms" which is now dba as "Ohio Fresh Eggs LLC."  Okay, right there the LLC tells you something--for all those paying attention in class, an LLC offers great protection for a business, but not so much for the people who are hurt by its actions.

Buckeye Egg Farms has a long history of pollution problems.  Take a look at this egg farm's history in this fact sheet from the Farm Sanctuary.   It is also interesting to note that the farm also had animal cruelty, food safety, and worker safety violations.

Now we have another large factory egg farm that is almost a sure bet to be approved.  Check out this Columbus Dispatch Article on Hi-Q Eggs.  I don't know about you, but I don't believe it is wise to give a 6-million chicken farm a chance to further pollute Bokes Creek.

As I said before, I don't eat eggs at all.  The site and smell of someone carrying scrambled eggs from the cafeteria makes me nauseous, and although one of my favorite old movies is Cool Hand Luke, I can't stand to watch the egg-eating scene.  I don't eat eggs, but I was repulsed by the pictures of manure at the large egg factories; so I wonder what those of you who do eat eggs feel about these images?  Please post your comments!

This blog is prepared by a paralegal student as a class project, without compensation. The content of this blog contains my opinion, and is offered for personal interest without warranty of any kind. Comments posted by others on this blog are the responsibility of the posters of those messages. The reader is solely responsible for verifying the content of this blog and any linked information. Content, sources, information, and links will most likely change over time. The content of this blog may not be construed as legal, medical, business, or personal advice

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what a dilemma...My family and I eat eggs...have always believed that where they come from are reliable sources, especially if we shop Wright Patt AFB commissary, where foods are suppose to be of the highest quality. How can one be sure when you see shots like the one in your post. Good post, good thought provoking article to give weight to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 125 tons = 250,000 pounds

    250,000 pounds / 1,000,000 chickens = 1/4 pound per chicken

    a 1/4 pound of wet manure per day per chicken doesn't seem that dramatic to me.

    ReplyDelete