Sunday, November 7, 2010

Whistle While You Work

This week, I'd like to return to the salmonella-tainted egg outbreak.  What really surprised me was the fact that two farm workers had reported, among other things, that eggs were being repackaged at the Iowa farm they worked at, but no one listened.  Take a look at this article from Unbossed.com on how Robert and Deanna Arnold's complaints were ignored.  There is also a good summary from CBS news:Red Flags Went Unheeded.

Why is it that whistle blowers are seldom taken seriously?  I can think of many other instances in which our government had warning of an impending disaster, but did not take the whistle blower seriously.  There were warnings of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac crisis, and some believe 9/11, as well as the unsanitary practices at the Iowa egg farms, but why did we not listen?

While I can't come up with the answer for why the whistle blowers were not heard, I do think that there is a great new site that deals directly with the problem of food safety.  Check out the Food Integrity Campaign Website; it has many links to empower the consumer.

Speaking of empowering the consumer, I'd like to say that although I don't eat eggs, I realize eggs are a great source of cheap protein.  So, I'd like to let everyone know about pasteurized eggs.  Because of the special patented processes, these eggs are safe from salmonella and other harmful bacteria.  Check them out at Safe Eggs.  I know with the holidays coming up, many of us will be baking pumpkin pies.

So, for my question this week, I'd like to know what is it about our society that we ignore what is right under our own noses?  Please comment!

This blog is prepared by a paralegal student as a class project, without compensation. The content of this blog contains my opinion, and is offered for personal interest without warranty of any kind. Comments posted by others on this blog are the responsibility of the posters of those messages. The reader is solely responsible for verifying the content of this blog and any linked information. Content, sources, information, and links will most likely change over time. The content of this blog may not be construed as legal, medical, business, or personal advice

2 comments:

  1. My question is, how do people know if there's something wrong with the eggs when packaging them? Is there a way you can tell or do you just know because everyone starts getting sick from it? I am just curious because I know if some foods have salmonella and you cook it at the correct temperature it will kill the salmonella and you won't get sick or even know that there was a problem with the food to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post this week. The whistle blower theme was most appropriate :) I think that people in our society tend to look the other way because if they didn't it would mean that they would have to take responsibility, or better yet,speak up!I always used the saying "Don't rock the boat" or "Don't stir the pot" when I was managing a group of individuals. However, I used it to show them how when they didn't do this, bigger issues arose or should I say multiplied. I think that is what we see in our society today- smaller issues snowballing to larger issues;if we would have just taken control of them when they were smaller, chances are they would never have become larger :)I guess people just choose to take the easier route. Sometimes I wish that I would make the same choice, but I realize that I welcome the opportunity to "rock the boat", and I like to think that by doing this, I will truly be a contributing memeber of our society. Let's hope that more indivduals see that if something is not done we are headed for a big disaster in many areas, including the world of eggs... Great post!

    ReplyDelete